Saturday, February 1, 2014

Introduction (Chapter 1)

For the course of this semester, I will devote my blog postings to the Antelope Valley area in southern California. The Antelope Valley is located in Los Angeles County, north of L.A., and it comprises thirteen populated areas, including the two cities of Palmdale and Lancaster, along with several other smaller towns and unincorporated areas, such as California City, Lake Los Angeles, Littlerock, and Acton. Below is a map of the Antelope Valley provided by the Los Angeles Times. If you visit the link below, you can view the interactive version of the map on the LA Times website.

(Source: http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/region/antelope-valley/)

I have chosen to discuss the Antelope Valley (AV) in this blog because I was born and raised in the city of Palmdale, where I continue to live. This area has a very distinctive physical geography because it is a high-desert region, with broiling hot summers, freezing winters, and (my favorite part of the AV) extremely strong winds! We are also known for being located directly on the San Andreas Fault. I have chosen perhaps the most distinctive icon of the Antelope Valley for the background of this blog - the beautiful Joshua Trees. It is intersting to note that the Joshua Trees are native to only two areas in the world - Israel and the California desert.
(Source: https://www.wm.com/location/california/antelope-valley/lancaster/community/history.jsp)

Because this area is my hometown, I am always interested in learning more about it, and I am looking forward to sharing information about the Antelope Valley with my classmates through this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment